Creating a recycling strategy is simple with the correct knowledge and advice from recycling experts.
Any business that produces recyclable materials can use recycling equipment as a superior alternative to bins and skips. This article will explain how to create a recycling strategy that will save businesses money, space and time. It will also give a big boost to the green credentials of any business.
The key to a successful recycling strategy is installing the right equipment. If a business has a waste issue, it usually involves cardboard and soft plastic. These two are common materials used at the majority of businesses. Sadly many use bins and skips to contain them before a waste collector empties them on a regular basis. It is a simple system but one with many problems.
- The cost of bin and skip collections are expensive and are increasing all the time.
- Bins and skips are large, voluminous items that take up lots of space and businesses are restricted to where they can be located.
- Recyclables have to be flat-packed and ripped in order to squeeze as much inside bins and skips as possible, this is a waste of staff time.
- The recyclable waste gets sent to landfill. This is expensive, unnecessary and is frowned upon by the government and the public.
Installing a recycling baler means all of these problems can be solved.
- A recycling baler can handle both cardboard and soft plastic, as well as more unusual waste types like textiles, tyres and plastic bottles.
- It acts as a replacement for bins, as all recyclables can be processed through the baler. It is therefore pointless having bins on site.
- Money is saved on bin and skip collections. A recycler will collect baled materials and as they are of value, the costs involved are minimal and sometimes non-existent. Recyclers will also pay cash rebates for top heavy, quality bales of cardboard and plastic; turning these once expensive waste types into a revenue stream.
- A baler can handle whole materials, meaning nothing has to be flat-packed or torn. This is convenient for staff who don’t have to waste their time tearing up waste.
- As a recycler collects the bales, all the material is re-used and nothing goes to landfill. This hugely improves green credentials and shows the public, customers and the government that the business cares about the environment and is intent on improving itself.
As well as a baler, there are other recycling machines which can save money and reduce waste.
Empty glass bottles are a common waste type for pubs and restaurants in particular. A glass crusher will reduce volumes by 5:1, meaning bins fill up slower and the quantity of collections can be reduced. A small glass crusher is convenient enough to be placed under a bar counter, making life very easy for bar staff. The larger glass crusher can be located inside or outside, which again is very convenient for staff.
Can presses are designed to compact large food and oil cans. Like the glass crushers, these reduce volumes 5:1 allowing for fewer, expensive bin collections.
There are machines designed for reducing the quantity of general waste as well. Bin and bag compactors reduce volumes by up to 90%. This again significantly lowers the amount of bin collections.
These are the most common recycling machines used by businesses and are imperative to consider when creating a recycling strategy. Without them the heavy reliance on bins and skips will continue and expenditure is highly unlikely to improve either.